About The Pelican Inn

Everything you’d expect from a great local pub

About the Pelican 

We know from historical road maps dated as far back as 1773 that The Pelican Inn was built towards the end of the eighteenth century. Since then, its had its ups and downs, but has always been at the heart of the Froxfield community. 

The Pelican began life as a coaching inn, catering for the food, drink and rest needs of weary travellers, as well as caring for their horses in nearby stables. Ours was the last of three coaching inns to be built in the village, which since Roman times has been situated on a popular route linking London and Bath.  

By the mid-nineteenth century, as coaching traffic declined, only The Pelican remained open for business. Since then, it has continued to welcome guests in a number of forms, as a gastro-pub, a Chinese restaurant and a nightclub (and at one time it was even owned by the famous children’s TV presenter Johnny Morris!). 

Today, The Pelican has gone back to its routes as a traditional roadside inn offering something for everyone and good value, freshly cooked food, real ales and comfortable accommodation for all.